Image Map

Saturday, January 11, 2014

It's All Greek to Me!

I recently started a Greek Mythology unit in my classroom.  My students are SO very excited and interested in the ancient Greek gods, goddesses and literary characters.  In order to help promote their excitement, I designed a Greek temple for a classroom display.





    
     I found several resources online, but I highly recommend the following file from Teachers Pay Teachers.  The author has rewritten several greek myths in modern day English (at a 4th/5th lexile level).  My students are loving the myths - and they are excellent tools for close reading strategies (Common Core).



     I wanted my students to summarize each myth, as well as focus on character traits for each mythological character.  So, I created some trading cards that could be bound with a metal/plastic ring, stored in a Ziploc, or glued onto a poster.  I plan to use these to help my students compare/contrast the various characters, revisit and recall the theme of various myths, etc.  I hope that they will be useful to another 4th grade teacher struggling to find appropriate resources in order to teach the Common Core standards regarding Greek Mythology.

     Special credit goes to The LibraryFox on Teachers Pay Teachers for the clip art!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment