Image Map

Monday, January 20, 2014

You Make Our Class Colorful!

     I had an extra long weekend due to a snow day and Martin Luther King Day, so I worked on a few projects with my children.  Since Valentine's Day will be here soon, we worked on their Valentine's Day cards and some little gifts for teachers/classmates.  One project I wanted to attempt was one I had seen online a lot - melting broken crayons using a mold.  It turned out REALLY cute, so I thought I would share so that others could use it to make a gift for their own classrooms or children.

     First, I found a silicone mold at Michael's that was heart-shaped.  Then, I (easily) found broken crayons among my kids' art supplies.  I decided to use red, purple and pink to fit a Valentine's Day theme.  After peeling the papers off, I filled one of the molds about half full with broken crayon pieces. 




     I heated the oven to 250 degrees and baked the mold for around 13 minutes.  Some tutorials suggest baking at 275.  Upon removal, I let the pan cool for around 10 minutes, and then I placed it in the freezer to harden the new crayon.


     After around 30 minutes in the freezer, I removed the mold and the new crayon.  The colors that blended were beautiful!  The heart did crack (which seems to be a common problem).  In the future, I will allow the mold to cool longer before I place it in the freezer, to minimize such a drastic temperature change.




     Next, I wrapped the crayon in a small plastic candy bag, and added a little tag I made using the Martha Stewart CraftStudio App for iPad (it's an AWESOME app - I use it for many school-related projects).  I've included a sheet with the tags in this blog post for your own use!  Check out the finished product below!



No comments:

Post a Comment